Mt. Calvary began as a ministry to one family. In 1922, the Elsasser family of Cross Lutheran Church (now closed) moved to the western edge of town, which then was along 48th Street. To serve the spiritual needs of the family, Rev. Titus Lang of Cross Lutheran Church went to the Elsasser home to instruct the children. He then invited other children who had no church to attend the class. By December of 1923, Pastor Lang was instructing 14 children.
The District Board for Missions saw the need for a missionary in the area, so Rev. W. W. Stoeppelwerth of Scottsbluff, NE was called to serve the area. He arrived in January 1924. Land was purchased and a chapel was constructed at 52nd and Woolworth. On December 21, 1924, the chapel was dedicated and named Mt. Calvary at the suggestion of Rev. Stoeppelwerth. By that time the Sunday School had an enrollment of 55 children, and attendance at worship was increasing. The following year brought about a discussion of organizing a congregation. This was delayed when Rev. Stoeppelwerth took a call to Lawrence, KS in January, 1926.
Rev. Milton Matuschka was called to serve the mission, and shortly thereafter the congregation organized and adopted its constitution on December 10, 1926.